first day of school...
There's nothing quite like the excitement of the first day of school. My kids were all up in enough time to eat and have lunches packed and hair done and pictures taken (and escaped donkeys put back in their pen - not every kid has that on their morning routine).
I followed them into town and met them off the bus. My eldest, A, was starting junior high and she was a little nervous so she asked me if I would come into town. What? My nearly-teen asking me for help?? Yes!! Yes!! I'll be there!!
My middle J, took off once he was off the bus and I never even saw him. I did eventually find his classroom and peak in but I didn't get to even say good luck and have a great day!
We found my other middle's classroom and had a bit of a chat. When I turned around, I expected to see A was gone - but she was still there. She really must have been nervous, waiting for me for so long. So - we walked over to the junior high and figured out what class she was in and where she was supposed to go. Once she'd figured out her classroom, she was so far ahead of me by the time I reached the stairs that I just shouted down - do you need me to go to the class or are you ok? I'm fine!! And so my proud moment of being needed ended.
Then it was just M and I at home (and oh what a glorious day!! lol)
But what I love most about the first day of school is how much energy they come home with. Everyone is trying to talk and the conversations are moving from one to the other so quickly - and my teacher - and then my friend - and we have hippo bucks and can bargain for desk postions - and my new agenda - and - and - and - and...
And I know it will change as the year goes by. I know their enthusiasm will wane, as will mine - but I hope I remember their faces on this first day of school when its feeling like it'll never end. Their bright eyes and wide smiles and breathless voices telling me about the adventures of their day.
When my children have all gone, I think I will miss the first day of school more than anything...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home