Adventures of an artist on her little house on the prairie.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

An interesting social experiment

I have a shirt that I've decided is an interesting social experiment. It is rather low cut and shows off my, ahem, ample cleavage. I'm a small girl generally and my bustline is more than generous for my frame.

It wasn't always like this - I used to be a flat board. Former nicknames included Mona (short for hormone deficiency...given to me by two very supportive older sisters) and Itty Bitty Little Titty (given to me by my group of guy friends that I hung out with in Junior High). Then, I went and had five kids and my breasts sort of exploded. Around kid three they were probably perfect and now, well now it takes a lot of effort to get them where they should be but once they are there, they look pretty good.

So, I have discovered the power my cleavage seems to have over every man I meet. I realize this is nothing new to a lot of women but as I approach forty I am finally starting to understand the power my feminity weilds.

Whenever I wear this shirt, its virtually impossible to have them meet my eye. I don't really find it insulting or upsetting - but I do find it highly amusing. It wigs me out a little when men who have known me since I was a little girl can't move their gaze but I'm a little flattered when I get a wolf whistle from a guy on the street. I'm not ashamed to admit it either. I can't help but laugh at the guys in the theatre company who have seen me change in front of them (it gets a little tedious during some productions to have to run to a private changeroom) who have had up close and personal moments with my breasts without so much as batting an eye, suddenly become transfixed when I wear this shirt. Men are amusing.

Now my self esteem is not wrapped up in this cleavage and I won't be running out to get them enhanced any time soon but I think I understand why women might. Its a bit addictive this power over men. I don't know if I could wear this shirt or an equivalent too often as once in awhile I'd like to have a conversation with a man but I'd almost like to try the shirt out in different situations - at the grocery store, to a parent-teacher interview, to the bank when I'm asking for a loan.

And luckily, my husband is just glad that I get to come home with him. What else could a girl want?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home