Ode to a Christmas Concert
Call me fickle or ornery or a Scrooge. I do not particularly enjoy children's Christmas concerts. I don't loathe them, but I'm not sure I look forward to them either. Even check last year's blog around this time - I think there's a similar one.
I do not enjoy the loads of parents, the hot gym, the syrupy story (always embellished with some twist on the Christmas story - the animals in the barn did not give presents to our Lord. I am pretty sure of that!) Perhaps the endless stream of them isn't helpful either and add to it this is always watching week for their dance school. Monday - Dance school. Tuesday - Band concert. Wednesday - Christmas concert and Dance school. Thursday - Christmas concert. Friday - Dance school.
By the end of the week though - my heart, like the Grinch's had grow just a bit.
My son was asked to play Joseph in the play they were putting on. He said he'd turned it down and my first reaction was - WHY? You are very good at acting, you have a strong voice, they obviously think you are capable - why wouldn't you share your gifts?? He told me: Mom, I've played Joseph before. I think somebody else should get the chance to play him.
oh...said his mother feeling very small. I guess he was sharing his gifts.
So he helped backstage which meant I had to sit through the concert for an hour and not even get a glimpse of my son. It was however, the best damn curtain pulling and set turning I have ever, ever seen. He came onstage for the last minute to help sing We Wish You a Merry Christmas. I had a perfect view of him and felt somewhat appeased...when some blond girl with glasses and big curls wearing a vest and a plaid skirt (you know who you are) stood up in front of him and obliterated him from my view.
Thursday's Christmas concert at least held more promise. My daughter E was going to be singing a solo. She'd been practicing at home and I'd had to bite my tongue not to criticize her. I did, however, gently ask if she really knew what the song was supposed to sound like...
Nonetheless, near the end of the Christmas concert there came E dressed as Baaahbara the lost sheep and she stood behind the microphone and this giant voice came out of my tiny girl. It was a beautiful song and I received many compliments on her performance from people as we filed out. I just smiled and nodded and said - yes, she did well didn't she? I'm very proud of her. Grateful, oh so grateful, I'd kept my mouth shut.
And one of those lovely people who complimented my E also commented: You have a whole family that can sing. First A this morning and then E tonight!
uh - A?
She had been saying she was planning to sing a song for the Junior High talent show and I had, of course, been a little critical and stopped myself. I decided not to discuss it with her at all because I didn't want to discourage or encourage her either way...though I secretly worried she'd make a fool of herself. And yet, here was this lady telling me what a wonderful job she'd done. I made sure to tell A how proud I was of her and that I'd received a compliment. She beamed and I felt terribly small again for having doubted her or ever made her doubt herself.
So in the course of the 'unbearable' Christmas concerts...I learned a lesson.
Keep your mouth shut - you have no idea what your children are capable of.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home