another moment in nature
Tonight - while driving home, I noticed how beautiful a normally unexciting slough was in the glow of the last rays of sun. When I looked over, I could see the dark forms of ducks in the water and then, how incredible is this - there were deer.
I didn't notice the deer though - I noticed their shadowy reflection in the water and that is the only reason I knew there were any there. It was dark enough that I couldn't see them in front of the brush, but the reflection in the water gave away their secret.
It makes me think about how much I would miss if I ever lost my sight. With my eyesight in my right eye going blurry again, it stirs up a few of the 'what ifs' and how sad I would be to lose my sight.
What would I want to see?
My children's faces as they grow and mature into adults.
Colors - certain colors on walls or in furniture make me feel so wrapped in warmth.
My donkeys and dogs and cats. I love just sitting with them and watching them so that I can learn their language. Its there if we stop and look.
Handwriting. I love to see handwriting - of my children, of my mother, of my husband, of dead relatives. Its so personal and such a connection to that individual.
Food. Oh, I love to look at food. Almost more than I like to taste it...seeing a table full of food makes me smile.
My garden - it would hurt me to not be able to see the rush of colors and to look and know I planted every seed of grass, every perennial, every tree, every bush and there it is, growing and thriving! In fact, the other day while I was weeding I started thinking that maybe I should start to learn the plants and weeds by feel so that I could still weed the garden if I go blind.
If I go blind.
I think I'll stop this blog now...that's a little too close to home.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home