If your mother chose the awards
Last night after a very successful dance recital where all four of my kids performed - it was ruined by the crazy need to present 'awards'. I don't disagree with who was chosen. The four dancers who were picked for a 'scholarship' to the summer dance camp are very good dancers with lots of personality on stage.
But dammit - my eldest, A - doesn't do tap or jazz or hip hop. She's a ballerina. A serious dancer learning serious technique and there were no strictly ballet students chosen. She has come into her own this year. Found her space. She was breathtaking in one of her numbers. I am overly critical most times, more than able to say - hey, my kid isn't nearly as good as that one or my kid has a lot of work to do still. But A deserved a scholarship.
Unfortunately...her mother doesn't choose who gets the awards. There were probably one hundred students up on stage last night and only four got an award. There were also probably ninety six sets of parents sitting at home last night like I was saying: dammit! My kid should have gotten the award.
The curses of parenthood...an unreasonable nature.

2 Comments:
HI! Emily from TPP. I discovered your blog on Margaret's links list. Nice to 'see' you again!
I totally agree on this issue; I HATE awards... they're so depressing. Here (on the island) most "scholarships", including to the dance school, are given on a basis of financial need, on the theory that talent and success needs nurturing to blossom... but having said that there's still a lot of the competitive mentality, and it's really heartbreaking. Even when my kids come out on top it feels bad - maybe worse! One of Tali's friends' mothers constantly berates her daughter infront of us because she can't draw as realistically as Tali does. It makes it a REALLY awkward situation for everyone, and worst of all completely destroys her daughter's desire to draw. I just hate that. ANyway; enough ranting. Nice to discover you and and your blog!
11:03 p.m.
hi emily!
its nice to see you here. i've been lurking on your blog for awhile...i just love your island.
as for the awards - i guess i'll just be grateful my kids seem to be less affected by it than i am.
4:38 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home