Adventures of an artist on her little house on the prairie.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

around my house

This morning we saw a couple of grouse in our yard. We got the binoculars out and the kids and I spent some time watching them. They were just hanging out and we hadn't seen any in our yard before. Another sign that very good changes are happening here.

Of course, that made the kids a bit late for the bus - but hey.

After they got on the bus, I took the dogs out and fed the donkeys. They were braying at me and they all clammered for attention. Couldn't go in the pen though this morning because I'd just slipped on my sandals and the thought of someone stepping on my toes freaks me out.

I broke my big toe a couple of years ago. My dh was moving our cough upstairs and he had it almost all the way up but he was at the top step and I asked if he needed help. He said yes - just help me get it up this last step. So I went over, lifted it up and immediately dropped it. My big toe was hanging over the edge of the step and the couch landed on it so I very nearly snapped the sucker off. I broke a triangular wedge out of my bone.

I immediately felt sick to my stomach and knew it was broken. I crawled upstairs, begged for some Tylenol 3 which really did make me sick to my stomach and I spent the rest of the day laying in crazy agony on the bed. I refused to go into the hospital until later that night because I knew by then the xray techs would be gone and they wouldn't call them in just to xray my toe and there was NO WAY anyone was going to touch it.

When I did finally go in (throwing up the whole way between the pain of the toe and the Tylenol 3) I told the doctor - I just need a note so I don't have to go to work tomorrow and I don't want anyone to touch it! She laughed at me, put her hands in her pockets, glanced down at the toe hanging at a scary angle and said - yup. Its broken.

So, the memory of that is way too clear for me to risk another broken toe. My donkeys had to have all their loving this morning over the fence.

1 Comments:

Blogger MomEtc. said...

Oh, that sounds soooooo painful! Glad you aren't taking any chances!

9:38 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home