Adventures of an artist on her little house on the prairie.

Friday, May 04, 2007

and a partridge in a pear tree!!!!

So...my husband and A have abandoned me for the world premiere of Spiderman III tonight but I have been amusing myself.

First - there is mask making. I'm up to my armpits in glue making masks for Macbeth. (making masks for macbeth - say that ten times fast)



and then I came upstairs and noticed that my favourite mating pair of birds was outside.

I was hesitant to name them but I thought they were quail or partridge or grouse. One of those - or all of them, as a quick peruse on the internet explained that all these names are sometimes interchanged for the others. But upon detailed inspection and some photos taken out my front window so as not to disturb them - I've concluded with certainty(ish) that they are Grey Partridge.




They are the same pair that spent last spring and summer in our yard and I imagine somewhere in the field just to the north of our home is a nest with eggs - but I haven't seen any real evidence of that.

Then, I realized in a 'twilight zone' kind of way - that just two years ago, I planted a - wait for it - PEAR tree!



(yes - that's a pear tree - the little one, in front of the bigger one, beside the bench that the wind tipped over...give it time - give it time)

Now, there's a partridge in my yard. And a pear tree. Thereby - potentially - a partridge in a pear tree.



Don't you think it would be just a little bit freaky if two turtle doves showed up next year???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home