Adventures of an artist on her little house on the prairie.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Parental Sex

Ok - we're all adults here, right? And if we aren't, well, there's a lot worse you'll be able to see on the internet.

A few weeks ago, I hung out at a party with a crowd of people who are a bit younger than my husband and I - by about ten years on average. Not only does that mean that we are in different stages of our lives (my husband and I in our late thirties/early forties and they are still in their twenties) but none of them are married or have children.

Its a great crowd and I love hanging out with them, but we are the token 'old married folk' of the group. And as the conversation does when you're getting a bit rowdy and jovial (and drunk) - it turned to sex. Not blatant sexual talk but in general terms.

Everyone started relating stories about their parents having sex or catching their parents having sex and one lovely young woman told about the time her father had been away for awhile and they'd met up on the road somewhere and they were all in a hotel room and her parents thought they were asleep and they weren't asleep.

and...I tried to keep quiet as everyone oohed and grimaced when I could not take it anymore - listen! I have been that parent. There are times when it might happen and maybe you decide to meet up in the hotel bathroom or you have to remove some young bodies draped across your bed (at least you hope you find them before you're completely in the throws) or you are hiding in some closet with your feet up against the door because it doesn't lock or the steamy shower door maybe wasn't quite steamy enough to hide that daddy really wasn't playing hide the soap with mommy.

But people...we might be parents but we aren't dead.

It is, however, a little sad, somewhat disconcerting but not horrifying that you find yourself at a place in life when you can have your face squished up against the carpet, enjoying yourself with your *married* partner and you don't miss a beat as you think to yourself - who the hell has been leaving their polly pocket crap under my bed? Or you are able to answer with a clear voice - Yes go ahead and make some toast to children knocking at the door.

Is it possible I am only fooling myself and someday it will be my children sitting around a Christmas party grossing out their friends with tales of 'when my parents had sex and they think we didn't know???'

eh - screw it. Who cares...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cracking me up! I've so been there - "yes, go ahead and put Star Wars on" as I'm in the throes... parenthood gives a whole new meaning to "afternoon delight"!

7:19 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:21 p.m.

 
Blogger atypical said...

Um, parents have sex? Gosh, I'm always learning new things from you.

-me

9:57 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home